I wasn’t going to address this on the blog, but I feel like I need to since I’ve had two comments now from “Anonymous” with a warning about going to China because this person fears one of us won’t come back. I’d rather write you personally about this, but since I don’t know who you are, I can’t do that. If you have future comments about this topic, please email me directly (use the “contact us” link at the top of the blog) so that we can have a private conversation about it.
We were caught by surprise by your original comment, and we did spend some time thinking and praying about what you said. To answer your question, we are still going to China for the simple reason that we still feel called to do this. If we DIDN’T go, we would be making that decision out of Fear, and that is not a way we can or want to live.
Secondly, this decision has not been made lightly. We have thought and prayed about this for over 2 years, and consistantly we have felt directed in a very specific direction — and that is to go to China and serve. Furthermore, we are not making the decision independently; our parents, family, friends, and broader Christian community has been involved in this decision heavily, and everyone feels like we are headed in the right direction. Granted, none of us can ever have certainty about the complete “rightness” of any decision we make in life, but we have done everything we can to test the waters in this decision and our spiritual mentors are in agreement with our decision. That’s enough certainty for us to take the next step.
Finally, the reality is one of us could die in a car accident tomorrow as we go to get milk. We can’t and won’t live in a sheltered world because we are afraid of death. Your comment really did get me to think… the one thing I can’t imagine losing above all else in life is my husband. But, Jacob and I want to serve God more than anything, and we know that He is calling us to serve the “least of these” in this very specific, hands-on way at this time of our life. And, if it costs me my life or the life of my husband, then He’ll give me (or Jacob) the grace to get through that. I trust Him. What I couldn’t live with is knowing that we chose not to go because we were scared of all the “What Ifs.”
Hopefully that answers your question, and if you have any future comments, please direct them to us personally as opposed to an anonymous comment on our blog. I’m not asking you to keep silent — I just would like to have a real conversation with you if you truly want to share something with us.