So two of these statements are true, and two are false. Let’s see who can pick out which are white lies and which are scout’s honor…
I am 9 months pregnant, and I:
a) Have swollen feet by 6pm.
b) Can still use a Chinese squatty (toilet).
c) Have finally finalized names, with the help of my dear husband.
d) Still fit on the back of our scooter.
I thought it was time for a general pregnancy update. I’m 37 weeks pregnant… officially full-term. And officially ready to get this show on the road.
It seems our baby might be in agreement. At the doctor’s office yesterday, I was having regular contractions (ever 4 minutes), but at this point they are totally painless. (They continue to occur fairly regularly.) The baby’s head has descended and is “engaged,” but I’m not sure if it has “dropped.” (What is the difference between those two things?) The doctors I saw yesterday both said they think there’s a pretty good chance this baby will be an early Christmas present, which suits us just fine. (In addition to the general desire to be done with pregnancy; there would be the added benefit of additional time to adjust before our Feb. return to USA. So, as long as he/she is healthy and ready, I’m seriously hoping this little one debuts as soon as possible.)
I continue to be in excellent health, and as best as we can tell, so is the baby. They estimate our ‘lil bundle-o-joy weighs about 6.4 pounds right now, and from the latest ultrasound all looks good — baby’s health, organs, heartbeat, umbilical cord, placenta, fluid, etc. No issues! I was told to “do whatever I want” and to not worry if I start to go into labor… they won’t try to stop it at this point.
I think we’re ready… or as ready as we’re going to be. I’m starting to fret a little bit about how the trip to the hospital is going to go. There is no traffic like Beijing traffic, and it could take us anywhere from 1 hr to 3 hrs to get to the hospital. Obviously I can’t wait as long as I might wait to leave if I lived 15 minutes from the hospital, but I have no idea when to decide “it is time.” I have a pretty high pain tolerance and notoriously “under-estimate” the severity of my pain, sickness, etc. Please pray we have good wisdom about this.
Other than that, I’m not really worried about anything. I feel like our hospital is very well-prepared to help us through this process, and I really like everyone up there. We sort of get VIP treatment here — probably nicer than we would have had in the USA — both because the hospital is really small and because they don’t have so many foreign patients. They go above and beyond to ensure that we’re comfortable and confident with everything. So Jacob and I both feel pretty good about what’s ahead.
Probably because ignorance is bliss.